Memory Video Idea

I'm Free (In memory of a loved one)


My Idea
After doing research about the brain and researching into powerful our brain is for manipulating memories, or creating ones that we may not have experienced in real life/ person (such as memories from a previous life, or a glimpse of the after life), I want my project to look into a specific area of a subject where it is unsure if the memory is true or a complete figment of a individuals imagination.


I was talking to my mother a few weeks back and we were on the subject of close relatives that are no longer with us. My mum told me she has has spiritual connections with her mother and grandmother, and have felt/ seen there presence. Every though I have no experienced seeing a loved one that has deceased, I have experienced the presence of my nan. Her favourite animals were robins and butterflies (particularly white ones) and on several occasions when I have been feeling down, alone or stressed these symbolic animals would appear. Taking mine and my mums personal experiences as an idea, I decided to look on forums and research into other people who have also experienced similar things.

For my final idea I home to take a few of these stories and recreate the experiences.





Research

During one of our screenings we were shown a short film (I will put the name of it here once I have found out, I think it was Lohotus Seremonica Consulation Service), which was a two screen drama which followed the story of a couple having a troubled relationship. Although it stuck to a narrative, the way the audience could interpret could be very different. The couple and some friends falls into ice in a lake, and it is unsure of whether they survive or not. After that it cuts to a scene of her in a room alone, when her partner strangely appears but when she goes to touch him he disappears. I interpreted this that he has passed on but she has survived, however she could still see him at that moment and communicate even though he wasn't actually there. Even if this wasn't the directors intention, this is how I interpreted it and how it gave me inspiration for my idea. I like how the film felt slightly mysterious and wasn't set out like a typical film or a documentary and had an almost abstract/poetic feel to it at some point. This is how I want my film to feel.

Inspiration to look into the cognitive side of memories and talking about people personal experiences came from a few documentaries I have watched that show people who have had memories from who they were in their previous life, and also individual who have see their future when they have had near to death experiences.

(Original documentaries I looked got removed from Youtube so must find it from other sources. Although video below is related to subject)