3D Modelling: Astroids


One way we can create a astroid is starting off with a sphere, which was divided into subdivisions so that each subdivision could be moved and manipulation to create an astroid shape. I could add a simple texture using a blinn.




Because just extruding and moving the edges causes each manipulation to be more squared shape and less natural looking, when moving each piece I selected the soft select tool to create a more rounded shape. As a result a smooth astroid shape was made.


Making an astroid can be also achieved from a cube. By starting with a cube and manipulating it, it makes it easier to uv map when we come to create textures. Again I subdivided the cube and made an unusual shape.




 

I think the most hardest thing about creating this astroid is uv mapping it . Because it is such a complex shape in relation to the amount of different size and shape faces it has, made  it difficult to sew each face together. However UV mapping is a useful tool as it makes pattern textures look more realistic from a 3D point of view. Once the model is uv mapped I created the texture on photoshop, which I spray painteed the edges so the texture would more easily fit together. 







Im pretty happy with my astroid outcome, and if I decide to still go for a space theme for my game, I would consider using these models for this.

No comments: