Tape Sculptures - Technique Research

Sometimes its good to recycling and build off of previous projects. Although challenging, I really enjoyed making the brain and how proud I felt once it was made. I also enjoyed working with lights and making it visually pleasing for the audience by making the brain transparent, and making it glow.

One idea I have is to make animals, particularly model organisms, such as rats out of a transparent material. The best way to make it would be to vacuum form, like I did with the brain, however due to these sculptures having to be detail because of the features of the animals, this method would not work.

I have been looking into different ways that I can sculpt with transparent/translucent material that will let light out, if I were to place lights inside my models. There are certain plastics which can be poured into a mould and set, however this is used on a more industrial level, and due to health and safety I could not carry this out. However, I came across many pictures and websites where people have made sculptures out of clear packing tape. This is convenient as tape is easy to get,  cheap, and can be made into almost anything, meaning I can really experiment with shape and sizes.

Below is some examples of packing tape sculptures:











 The tape mask above could be something I can experiment with when taking my human animal hybrid pictures.

No comments: