Tutorials with Vicky, Rosie and Owen

Vicky

My tutorial with Vicky really helped me decide what I am trying to achieve from my piece not just visually, but in terms of concept and personal meaning. Because I feel drawn to neither side of the argument of 'Is genetic manipulation good or bad?', and see both pros and cons in this, it has been hard to anchor a certain mood or emotion to my work. It does not glamourise the subject, nor does it represent something horrifying, but has a fantasy like feel.

Originally my piece was to create discussion rather than force opinion on the viewer, and I think I still want to hold this idea. Vicky suggested that I make the third middle screen of a full body shot, to connect/relate it to the full body sculpture I am doing. She also suggested I make the person appear in shock or 'freaked out'. After thinking about this I felt this will suggest to the viewer that GM is bad.

I then had a tutorial with Rosie & Owen to help make my concept more solid and develop and stronger meaning.


Rosie & Owen

I was having difficulties connecting my sculpture to my screen. After a discussion with Rosie and Owen, I finally come to conclusion of what the deeper meaning of my project would be.

My screens are very much fantasy based, and reflect the ideas we have.
However the sculpture will reflect reality, where not everything goes to plan, or turns out how we fantasise it. This can be reflective on not only scientific experiments, but our own work in general. Suggests the process of trying to engineer and catch up with evolution - not going to work


I was reccommended to look into Orlan. She surgically maniplulates her face for art. Within many cultures and life style choices, there are people who choose to manipulate their bodies permenantely.

No comments: