Experiment Sound Final Piece - Embankment


Originally I was going to do toy sounds coming from each box, however I found this hard to put together different sounds to make a track similar to One Pig (Matthew Herbert), but also I felt that it needed to be more personal, seeings Embankment was a personal based exhibit for Rachel Whiteread.

Instead I made the each box that is opened to say a word on how I felt when I moved away from home to university, which is suggested by the first voice "your life is going to change". I wanted to use phones so it seemed a bit more realistic instead of just noises coming from boxes. When I first started university it was very over whelming and I suffered with anxiety for a sort period last year. This is reflected by the repeated words such as 'I'm scared', 'independence', 'alone', 'work', 'you can do this', which are over laid with each other to created an over whelming experience for the listener.

To create the sense that a person was in a massive hall I firstly imported a soft humming sound. Then I added reverbs to make certain sounds echo. Effects were added to my voice to make it appear as if it coming out of a phone. I also had to adjust the levels of each sound, especially the phone ringing as the person got closer to the phone in the box.

A well as recording my own sounds, I used some extra sound effects from freesound.org , as I was unable to record a traditional phone sound ect.







Over all I am fairly pleased with my piece considering I was slightly scared of Audition and what I could do on it, seeings I have never experimented with sound before. I have learnt a lot from this sound unit, and hopefully my sound skills will approve a lot more in the future!!!


No comments: