The Evaluation


This project definantly pushed my skills, especially in times where I felt I held a big responsibility in this project. Based around the video, 'Plastic Bag', we wanted to create a beautiful, cinematic feel like film, that experimented with a scarf being the main subject rather than a person. Although a scarf can just been taken anywhere, I still found it challenging due to the unpredictable movement of the scarf, and this project being heavily reliant on certain weather conditions.

What this film means to me
Even though this was Tori's initial idea, during the editing process I wanted to reflect some of my experiences within the journey of the scarf. The journey of this scarf shows that anything can happen, whether it can be controlled or not, and at first change can leave you feeling lost and down, however out of the bad you always manage to find good thing in the end.

Pre Production
Being the producer I felt that we were prepared during pre production, as we managed to complete the product on folder early. However due to weather circumstances we had to postpone filming. It showed me how even though you can be prepared there are still things that can prevent filming, and therefore have to be rescheduled. I enjoyed thinking and setting up the small sets, including the dyeing and shop window scene, as it allowed me to use my imagination to make my kitchen into  fairly realistic shop window. In these scenes I also experimented with lighting, making sure the items were well lit.

Filming
Filming was a challenging part in this production as it required a lot of different locations. Even though we spent a whole day in Virginia waters, we still found we had quite a lot of shots to do. If I were to be producer again for a film like this I would of improved our planning and made a more detailed schedule to film everything in a week, rather than having to get pick up shots over a longer period of time. Also in some scenes a tripod wasn't used, sometimes this can be effective however I think in this film it should of been used at all times.

Post Production
Editing the clips together was fairly straight forward as we had a clear idea of what we wanted to achieve with the story. The voice over which we had recorded in the sound studios was fairly tricky to pick out which would suit the film and place it in relevant places, without seeming too over powering. If we would of had more time, I possibly would of re recorded the voice over, to a more natural voice. However due to time restrictions and feedback from class mates the voice seemed to work with the beautiful tone we have tried to reflect in our piece. 
Most of us in our group took part in editing.  The skills I learnt from this project was how to use premiere pro to edit, fade clips together and colour balance some footage.

Final Verdict
Even though we had quite a few issues through the production process, I feel we managed to create a good short film, reflecting the journey of this scarf. I definantly managed to put my emotions and interpretations into this piece. If I were to change anything, I would of improved my organisation and time managing skills, as some of the shots could of been more betterly thought out with more time and consideration.  Also next time I will consider on focusing on the sound side more, and getting successful sounds of the environment, as we didn't include the environment sounds I'm our piece, mainly due to the wind interfering with equipment.

No comments: