Experimental Sound Design Project - EMBANKMENT - Rachel Whiteread (2005)


Comparing this image to the rest, I thought this was the hardest picture to create sound for and that I would not have to create a lot of sound for the piece.

My first idea was to put the sound perspective of someone walking around the room (can hear footsteps of the person) passing different people maybe talking/whispering about the piece. I will change what speaker the people come through depending on what side the person would see them on (I will be simulating this through sound).

I would also record the sound of a large empty space (that maybe has some faint humming in the background) to put behind the track to give the experimental sound piece more space and atmosphere.

Even though these sounds will make the place more realistic and true to what a individual would hear walking around the room, I feel that it needs something extra to make it more creative and experimental. Like the scene from the movie The Double Life of Veronique (1991) I want there to be some sort of journey, and that the listeners can work out where the individual in my sound is walking, and what they are doing. I had an idea of the person walking around the room, hearing people talking or whispering from different directions. Then the person would open one of the boxes, climb inside and close the box, and all the noises and people talking from the outside world would become muffled. I could probably play around with this idea, just in order to make it more creative and a bit more interesting, rather than just recording the sound of an empty room with boxes.