Bruce Nauman -Inspiration for multiscreen and sound projection

Bruce Nauman

There are three projection surfaces and six monitors of a mans head spinning. In a variety of tones he sings 'Feed me, eat me, anthropology, help me, hurt me, sociology'. The space has to be entered to feel the full effect of the installation, as the sound is projected through speakers. The noises come from different directions and aim to irritate as much as the contradictory demands. In some aspect all combined creates a disturbing moment, and makes the viewer feel uncomfortable. Not only does the uncomfortable feeling become part of the artwork but the artwork also encourages to think about the inherent qualities of subjects and object, and to human beings in society.

The human being is torn between the physical human body and social body. Although this piece is uncomfortable to be part of for a long period of time, the multi screens create more of an interest and create a wider perspective, especially with the use of sound that contradicts the image, it creates more curiosity. For my personal project I want to use multiple moving image photographs with sound (surround) to create a sense of space between the viewer, and myself as the subject of my work.


No comments: