Concept and Visual Research - Kate Clark






Her sculptures synthesize the human face and body of wild animals, exploring the overlap across our cultures and histories. It represents what represents humans from the animal kingdom, whilst also hinting at what joins them. We no longer need the interaction with wild animals any more, we no longer have the fierce, instinctive or pure characteristics of the natural world. The almost realism of the human face creates curiosity, and is not monstrous. It creates an certain atmosphere, rather than imposing a purpose or message. I'm not sure what it is exactly about the work, but it really draws me in and I find these sculptures extremely interesting. On one aspect I really love the detail and realism that has gone into each piece, however on the other hand I find it slightly unsettling that a once alive animal it manipulated to have humanistic features. However the audience chooses to feel about these, it certainly makes a visual impact.





How this relates to my work
The relationship between the face and the animal features in the project goes hand in hand with this artist, as I want to create a certain atmosphere, that nor scares or is humorous to an audience, but creates curiosity. In my project the human faced is based of individuals that are close to myself, including myself which makes the project more personal, and make me think about my relationship with animals and the world around me. Again it exercises those boundaries that we find our selves discovering due to the constant disconnection with nature and connection with technology.



She Gets What She Wants

Bully

Little Girl



No comments: