Re recording the sounds

Because I wanted to change my idea, I also needed to re record some sounds. I recorded a mixture of outside atmospheric sounds, as well as my own Foley sound effects.


I wanted to create as many sounds as possible by creating them myself and making my own foley , which I could then manipulate and change in protools to make it sound similar to the true thing. Sounds such as the Jabbawockys roar was particularly interesting to do, as I had to manipulate my sounds a lot to make it low and make it seem like it's coming from a giant creature.

Here are some of the methods I used to create certain sounds for my soundscape:

  • The roar/ groan of the Jabbwocky was made by record a chair sliding across the floor and also dog barks. I then made the pitch lower and decreased the speed.
  • The swiping of the sword was created by using a large kitchen knife and swiping it against another metal object.
  • The thud of the person sitting down and of a body/head hitting the ground was created using a bag of flour being dropped onto the floor.
  • The flapped of wings/stomping of the Jabbawocky was made using a towel and flapping it in front of the recorder, I then lowered the pitch and added a reverb to make Jabbawocky seem bigger.
  • The thumping of the Jabbawocky plodding away at the end was made by me banging hollow metal box. I the changed the pitch slightly on this too.



To record my sounds I used both the Marantz with the rode microphone and Roland microphones. I had to make sure they were setup correcting making sure it was recording mono. Even though I recorded stereo on the Roland's I then corrected this in pro tools. 

No comments: