Sound Development - First Major Creative block of Y2 (already!)

It was inevitable that is was going to happen, but so soon brain? really? Even though this happened at an extremely inconvenient time, as the tutorial we had was putting our sounds together, I feel like if I put my mind to it I can re record and start over with my sounds.

My original idea was to narrative the three little pigs but put a dark twist on it. I was going to create destruction noises and things breaking when the house was getting 'blown' down, however the sounds would sound more like an actual house being destroyed by diggers. I wanted it to represent how in certain countries in the world people are forces out of their homes without time to collect belongings and their houses are destroyed. I wanted the wolf to represent the 'government'. Although I liked the metaphorical values of this idea, I found it hard to formulate an actual narrative behind the narration, and had a creative block to how I'm going to arrange the clips and make it sound somewhat realistic.







My new idea links back to our first sound sessions, where a few ideas were given. One of which was the poem 'The Jabbawocky' by Lewis Carroll. As a child I used to love this poem, mainly not because of the poem itself, but the unusual and slightly terrifying drawings which would come with the poem. After looking at a modern day translation of the poem, I am now able to imagine what kind of sounds I would need to create a soundscape.


’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

“Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
      The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
      The frumious Bandersnatch!”

He took his vorpal sword in hand;
      Long time the manxome foe he sought—
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
      And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
      The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
      And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
      The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
      He went galumphing back.

“And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?
      Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!”
      He chortled in his joy.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
      Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
      And the mome raths outgrabe.

(Translated into modern English by Jordan Mallory
It was 4 o’clock in the afternoon, and the lithe, slimy Toves spun and bore into the rain-soaked hillside. The Borogoves looked flimsy and miserable, and the Mome Raths bellowed and whistled.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub Bird, and shun the fuming, furious Bandersnatch!"
With Vorpal Sword in hand, He rested by the Tumtum tree, thinking, reflecting on time spent seeking his fearsome foe. And, as he thought, The Jabberwock tore through the dense wood, eyes aflame, howling.
As blows exchanged, the Vorpal Blade cut and thrust. The Jabberwock, slain, was left in the woods, as He shambled back with its head.
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O fabulous, joyous day! Hoorah! Hooray!" He chuckled and snorted in his joy.
It was 4 o’clock in the afternoon, and the lithe, slimy Toves spun and bore into the rain-soaked hillside. The Borogoves looked flimsy and miserable, and the Mome Raths bellowed and whistled.)

Sounds I have considered and recorded include:
Breeze/wind
Leaves on trees
Crunching of leaves and twigs beneath feet
Loud booming footsteps
Scraping on bark
Twig snaps
Rain?
Creature sounds - Can be made by manipulating normal sounds
Flapping (Like dragon flaps)
Sword drawing
Sword Swinging
Cutting into flesh
Thumb on the ground (of the head of the beast)

No comments: